How to Apply

How to Apply to the Certificate Program 

Students interested in pursuing any of the Advanced Engineering Certificates at UConn must apply to the UCONN Graduate School. If you have any questions, please contact and we’ll be more than happy to help guide you through the process. 

Master of Engineering (MENG) & Certificate Deadlines

Summer Semester, April 20
Fall Semester, July 15
Spring Semester, December 1


A typical applicant will have the following minimum qualifications: 

  • Baccalaureate (B.S.) degree from an accredited institution in an approved engineering or STEM discipline  
  • Note:  If your baccalaureate degree is not within engineering, please contact the Center for Advanced Engineering Education at for further assessment 
    • For the Contaminated Site Remediation Certificate, backgrounds in geology, chemistry, environmental science, natural resources and others can be evaluated. 
    • For the Power Engineering Certificate, an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering is strongly recommended. 
    • For the Power Grid Modernization Certificate, an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering is strongly recommended.
  • A cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or better for your entire undergraduate record or  
  • A grade-point average of at least 3.0 for your last two undergraduate years 
  • Four semesters of Advanced Mathematics to include Calculus I and Calculus II along with two semesters of other advanced math topics such as:  
    • Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Multivariable Calculus or comparable  
  • Check the certificate concentration of interest 'Plan of Study' as these math requirements can vary by department 
    • For the Engineering Data Science Certificate prerequisites: Four semesters of Calculus: Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Linear Algebra, along with a programming course (this could be in C, C++, Java or Python) 
    • Contaminated Site Remediation Certificate: Two semesters of math are required (not four) 

        The Advanced Engineering Certificates do NOT require GRE for admission. 

        Application Requirements   

        ApplicationApply to the UConn Graduate School  

        • Select Certificate as the “Level of Study” 
        • Select Engineering as the “Academic Area” 
        • Select the appropriate “Program” you are applying to: 

        Transcripts – Upload within your application 

        • You are required to upload all copies of academic credentials for each college/university that you list 

        International applicants only 

        Official documents are only required to be sent if you are admitted to the program and accept the offer of admission. However, due to mailing/processing time, we recommend mailing official documents when you submit your application. 

        Please mail transcripts to:
        University of Connecticut
        Graduate School
        438 Whitney Road Ext., Unit 1152
        Storrs, CT 06269 

        Resume – Upload within your application 

        Personal Statement – Upload within your application 

        • Provide a paragraph or two about your background, interest, and your career goals and how the graduate degree will help you achieve your goals 

        One Letter of Recommendation (Supervisor) – Online submission procedure within application process  

        Note:  Use your recommender’s institutional or corporate e-mail address  

        Proof of English Proficiency (international applicants only) 

        Pay application fee of $75 

        • Must be paid online with a credit card  

        In addition to the above, applicants must also satisfy all Graduate School Admission Requirements 

        Checking the Status of Your Application

        To check the status of your application at any point, please refer to the Status Checking page 

        If your application is denied, or if you wish to begin the program as a non-degree student for another reason, you may apply as a non-degree student. Participating as a non-degree graduate student allows you to take up to two courses if you decide to pursue an Advanced Engineering Certificate. If you receive a grade of “B” or better in courses taken as a non-degree student, you may choose to apply to an Advanced Engineering Certificate program and transfer those courses in.” 

         Ready to Apply?  

        Get Started on Your Application.